Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Friends Season 8 01

Friends Season 8
01.
1. Joey: Ah. (To Chandler) Slow swimmers? (Chandler looks at him.)
Joey means Chandler's sperm is slow so Monica is not pregnant.
2. Phoebe: Yes, I…I am with child. (Flash) And I didn’t want to say anything because it’s your day; I didn’t want to steal your thunder.
to do what someone else was going to do before they do it, especially if this takes success or praise away from them
Sandy stole my thunder when she announced that she was pregnant two days before I'd planned to tell people about my pregnancy.
3. Rachel: Oh, thank you for doing that. I just can’t deal with this just quite yet.
completely [usually in negatives] completely:
I don’t quite understand the problem.
The drawing’s not quite right.
They’re doing a great job, but they haven’t quite finished.
“Are you ready??“Not quite.?
4. Rachel: You said that she was, I just didn’t disagree with you.
    Phoebe: Sneaky.
doing or saying things secretly, often in a dishonest or unfair way. This word shows that you dislike people and behavior like this:
That was pretty sneaky of you!
5. Oh guess what, Molly Gilbert you’ve just been bumped up to table one.
AMERICAN to move someone to a better position or job:
We were bumped up to first class when two seats became available.
6. Monica: …in this day and age how dumb do you have to be to get pregnant?
INFORMAL stupid:
She’s so dumb she can’t even figure out her answering machine.
7. Monica: Well, there’s a lot to think about. I mean, how is she, how is she going to handle this financially? How is she going to juggle work?
[T] informal to succeed in arranging your life so that you have time to involve yourself in two or more different activities or groups of people
Many parents find it hard to juggle children and a career.
8. about poor, knocked-up Phoebe.
Pregnant, SLANG: You don't want to get knocked up by some guy you hardly know.
9. I wasn't farting!
to release gas from the bowels through the bottom
10. See, for the first time I didn’t want you to be embarrassed to be seen on the dance floor with some clumsy idiot.
describes someone who often has accidents because they do not behave in a careful, controlled way
That's the third glass you've smashed this week - you're so clumsy!
11. Joey: Tell me about it, I feel like I’m holding down the fort all by myself.
hold down the fort:
to be responsible for something while the person usually responsible for it is not there
She's holding the fort while the manager's on holiday.
12. Chandler: Bravo Dennis thanks for pleasing my mother so.
used to express your pleasure when someone, especially a performer, has done something well
13. Phoebe: I’m-I’m just saying, don’t freak out until you’re a hundred percent sure.
to become or cause someone to become extremely emotional
14. Chandler: But you’re not just a soap actor. You are a soap actor with freakishly tiny feet.
very unusual or unexpected, especially in an unpleasant or strange way
Freakish weather conditions have caused massive traffic hold-ups in the area.

15. Vocabulary
bathrobe botanist hottie

16. The sentences
What size shoes do you wear?|- Eleven.
My shoes are giving me a problem.|Can I borrow your boots?
She's gonna raise it on her own.





No comments:

Post a Comment