Saturday, January 5, 2013

Phone English

Ask to speak to someone:
Can/Could I speak to …, please?
I’d like to speak to …
Is … there?
Ask who’s calling:
Is that Diana?
Can I have your name, please?
(Can I ask) who’s calling?
Say who’s calling:
It’s … here.
Greeting:
Nice to hear from you again!
Give a reason for calling:
Cai I speak to someone about ….?
I’m calling in connection with …?
It’s with regard to ….
Connect the caller:
I’ll put you through (to) …
I’ll transfer you (to) …
Ask the caller to wait:
Just bear with me a moment.
Hang on a second.
Check the person who answers has time to talk
Is this a good moment?

Have I rung you at a bad moment?
Do you want me to call later?
Explain the person is unavailable:
Sorry, she’s unavailable at the moment.
She can’t get to the phone right now.
Leave a message:
Please say I called.
Can I leave a message?
Take a message:
Can I take a message?
I’ll give her your message.
Show you’re listening/show interest:
I see./OK.
I understand.
That’s fine/great.
Is that right? Is that OK?
Really?
Ask for repetition and clarification
Would you mind saying that again?
Do you mind repeating that?
Sorry, I didn’t catch that.
I’m sorry; I don’t speak English very well. Can you repeat that?
End the call:
Thank you for your time.
It’s been nice talking to you. Bye
Thanks for calling.
Refer to future contact:
Look forward to hearing from you. Bye.
When can I expect to hear from you?
Deal with problems:
It’s a bad line.
The reception’s terrible.
It’s too noisy here.
Can you hear me OK?
Let me call you back.
Make appointments:
That sounds fine.
I’ll confirm it by email.
Manager a conference call:
Are you there Simon?
Can you hear me?




No comments:

Post a Comment