Monday, June 25, 2018

Global English Assignmeng 6

Global English Assignmeng 6
1.
SYLVIA: Sue Jacobs and Gloria Dorella have comparable positions with a large multinational corporation.
Sue works at the U.S. headquarters and Gloria works at a foreign branch.
This is Gloria's first time in the U.S.
They are currently undergoing training together, and they have taken a break for coffee.
SUE: Is everything okay?
GLORIA: Well, if you don't mind my asking, do you think this coffee tastes all right?
SUE: Honestly, you don't have to be so diplomatic with me.
I've spent a lot of time abroad and I know what people think of American coffee.
Would you like something else?
GLORIA: No thanks, Sue. I'll survive.
You don't mind if I call you by your first name, do you?
SUE: Not at all. I prefer it.
So, what do you think of the training so far?
GLORIA: All in all, it's pretty good.
However, I sometimes have difficulty understanding the head trainer's accent.
Is English his first language?
SUE: Yes, but he's originally from New Zealand.
He became a U.S. citizen a couple of years ago.
And don't worry, I occasionally miss a word or two myself.
GLORIA: Really? Thank you for telling me.
It isn't always easy to know whether a question is appropriate or not.
SUE: No need to thank me.
Ask me anything you like, Gloria, and if I'm not comfortable answering, I'll let you know. Okay?
GLORIA: Okay. Actually, I have been wondering about something.
Do you mind if I ask you a personal question?
SUE: I'm all ears.
GLORIA: Well, we have comparable positions in the company, but in different countries.
I was wondering how, in general, our compensation might differ.
SUE: To tell you the truth, Gloria, I don't really feel comfortable talking about that.
I think that's a question you should ask Human Resources.
GLORIA: Pardon me for asking, Sue.
Maybe we should get back to the training.
SUE: Please, no need to apologize.
And listen, don't take it personally if I don't answer all your questions.
Like I said, if I feel uncomfortable about something, I'm very up-front about it.
GLORIA: I appreciate your honesty.
SUE: My pleasure. We can talk again later.
2.
Do you mind if I ask you a personal question?
Not at all. Go ahead.
Are you looking for a long-term relationship?
I'd rather not answer that.
3.
In American English, the title "Miss" used for single women has become a bit outdated, especially with professional women. "Ms." (pronounced miz) is a safe bet in any situation. It's neutral and doesn't indicate whether the woman is married or not. If the woman prefers "Miss" or "Mrs." (pronounced misiz), she'll probably tell you.
4.
Don't overreact! It's not the end of the world.
5.
He wasn't very complimentary in the review.
6.

He made a faux pas when he asked her age.

No comments:

Post a Comment